- ED Emily Arnold-Fernandez was awarded the 2013 Grinnell College Young Innovator for Social Justice Prize. The award recognizes the work of the entire Asylum Access family, past and present.
- Asylum Access Ecuador advocated for refugee rights before the Inter-American Commission for Human Rights (IACHR) on October 31st, seeking a review of refugee status determination (RSD) processes in the region to ensure access to due process.
- Asylum Access Ecuador won a labor rights case on behalf of a refugee woman client. The judge awarded her USD3,000 in owed wages and compensation, upholding refugee work rights recently introduced in Ecuador.
- Asylum Access Tanzania wrapped up a survey of over 300 refugees and immigrants in detention with a workshop to discuss key findings and recommendations with decision-makers, including the UN refugee agency and government officials.
- Asylum Access Thailand spoke about refugee issues in Bangkok in an event organized by Palestinian refugees in Thailand to raise awareness about their unique displacement and their rights as previously recognized refugees living in Syria.
- ED Emily Arnold-Fernandez co-authored an article on refugees’ rights to work in University of Oxford’s Forced Migration Review (September 2013 issue).
- Asylum Access offices celebrated reaching over 10,000 refugees annually across our offices in Ecuador, Thailand and Tanzania. In San Francisco, our Headquarters office also marked our 8th anniversary with a celebration attended by our supporters.
Quarterly Figures at a Glance
In Ecuador, we provided direct legal assistance reaching a total of 1,750 refugees, providing 365 new clients with individualized legal assistance and community legal empowerment assistance.
In Tanzania, we provided direct legal assistance reaching a total of 626 refugees, providing 48 new clients with individualized legal assistance and community legal empowerment assistance.
In Thailand, we we provided direct legal assistance reaching a total of 188 refugees, providing 56 new clients with individualized legal assistance and community legal empowerment assistance.[/box]