Asylum Access Mexico has been making refugee rights a reality in Mexico since 2015. We are now the largest refugee legal aid organization in the country.
Go to: Overview (Current Page) | Our Team
INTRODUCING ASYLUM ACCESS MEXICO
Asylum Access Mexico was established in 2015 and is dedicated to helping refugees as they rebuild their lives through a human rights-based approach. To achieve this, the organization uses combined efforts in legal empowerment, government capacity building, and partnerships in the private and social sectors.
To improve access to asylum for thousands of refugees, Asylum Access Mexico operates in seven different locations in the country:
- Acayucan, Veracruz
- Mexico City
- Monterrey, Nuevo León
- Palenque, Chiapas
- Tijuana, Baja California
- Tenosique, Tabasco
- Villahermosa, Tabasco
Asylum Access Mexico is also a proud member of the following regional coalitions and advocacy groups:
- Grupo de Trabajo Sobre Política Migratoria (GTPM)
- Citizens’ Council for the National Institute of Migration
Asylum Access Mexico’s legal and community advisers provide critical information and legal representation for refugees seeking asylum in Mexico. We also work to guarantee access to justice and due process for refugees and people seeking asylum in the country.
Community legal empowerment
We hold regular workshops for refugees and people seeking asylum on their rights under Mexican law. We also run workshops aimed at refugee women who have fled from gender-based violence (GBV). Finally, we help guarantee refugees’ access to employment, healthcare, education and other forms of support through the Hospitality Route.
We advocate for the release of refugees from detention and for human rights-based refugee and immigration policies in Mexico. We also train government officials on the rights of migrants and refugees.
Our Hospitality Route (in Spanish: La Ruta de la Hospitalidad) creates partnerships with companies, governments, public institutions and civil society to bring down the walls that prevent the local integration of refugees in Mexico. It also creates human connections that allow refugees to work, study, play, discover their passions, and contribute to their host communities.
The Hospitality Route’s team works to guarantee refugees’:
- Access to employment
- Continuation or validation of educational degrees
- Access to healthcare
Serving the refugee community
As an established, trusted ally to the refugee communities in Mexico, we are proud of the support we have provided to our clients.
- Over 9,000 refugees reached each year, making us the largest provider of legal aid to refugees in Mexico.
- We have supported over 13,200 refugee clients since our founding in 2015.
- Over 7,700 refugees have benefitted from our community empowerment workshops.
- Through our Hospitality Route, we have established partnerships with over 30 employers, healthcare providers, NGOs and education institutions.
Advancing the rights of refugees in Mexico
Through collaborative efforts with local and regional human rights partners, Asylum Access Mexico has contributed to the following policy advances:
- 2020 – The Mexican Congress unanimously approves closing a legal loophole that continued to permit the detention of migrant and refugee children.
- 2020 – Following court action, the National Institute for Migration (INM) agrees to release approximately 3,650 migrants and refugees from immigration detention centers due to risk of COVID-19.
- 2018 – Mexican district court orders the release of a Guatemalan woman and her family from immigration detention, setting important legal precedent to prevent the detention of migrant and refugee families.
- 2017 – Mexican district court orders the release of a Guatemalan woman and her family from immigration detention, setting important legal precedent to prevent the detention of migrant and refugee families.
You can learn more about Asylum Access Mexico by exploring the sections linked below:
Need our assistance? Send us an email or a direct message to one of our social networks, and we will get in touch with you.
Address: Av. Insurgentes Sur 1150, 1er Piso (Oficinas 3 y 4), Tlacoquemecatl del Valle, Benito Juárez. C.P. 03200, Ciudad de México, Mexico
Media Inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org